Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Little Man

My little man has been exceptionally cute lately. He has also been exceptionally screechy and defiant but I'd rather talk about the good stuff. I think it is safe to say that he is officially potty trained. His last accident was at the soccer field about ten days ago when he had to walk to the car with wet shorts and shoes. Not sure if it just happened to finally click after all freaking summer or if he decided the wet shorts and walking were no fun. Since then, he has kept his pants dry and is so independent about it all. Hallelujah!!!! We have been working on this for months- no lie.

I do have a complaint though. He has started not aiming downward and switched from peeing *in* his pants to peeing *on* his pants from the potty. He has been walking out of the bathroom saying "I pee-pee'd da flowa" with a wet spot, bottom front and center where he forgot to move his shirt of out of the way. He is a 40 pound guy and has managed to stink up and funk up all three toilets in the house. I used to scoff at Clorox Clean-Up wipes, thinking they were wasteful and wondering who could not just reuse a sponge. I have to say I bought some today because now I see exactly why someone would need something so convenient - Boys!?!!?

I wish I had a picture of him today. He was wearing his new cream colored Gap jeans and brown, cream and navy striped shirt with his bus driver shoes. Handsome. Reed always seems to surprise me with some random proof that he is always observing his surroundings. Today, as I was talking to Holly on the phone discussing some upcoming plans, I said "Thursday." He started listing the days of the week starting with Monday and stopped at Friday. I overlooked the fact that he missed my two most favorite days but was excited to hear him list them correctly.

Ok, one more thing. well, two more. I dropped Reed off at school today with feverish Evyn in the car. Since I did not want to drag poor sick Evy through the school, I decided to try the drop off line where the assistant director greets the children and ushers them into school where there are many aides waiting to help those in need find their way to class - this can be intimidating for a little person(and his mommy). In other words, I fed him to the wolves (sorta), and he did fine! As I passed his hand off to Mrs. Jones, I quickly said "good-bye" and walked away. He walked in with Ms. Jones and was fine! Did I mention he was fine?? This was obviously a big step for both of us. I might even try it again tomorrow, especially if Evy is still sick.

The last Reed story has to do with his fascination with giving kisses. He likes to kiss my mouth, kiss each eye, each eyebrow, sometimes each ear and then ends each kiss session with a forehead kiss and a series of air kisses that he gives as he leans back and kisses up towards the sky. I believe he is this incredibly sweet in order to balance out the not so sweet.

**********************************************************************

I am banned from the hospital

Not officially, but just until Evyn is better. I will not be responsible for transporting germs to the NICU. I have no new pictures of Skylar either since I had the wrong lens on my camera last week when I tried - DUH! Anyway, she is still doing well. Her PICC line was removed last Friday. She no longer needs the lipids, vitamins and minerals that she was getting from it since she is now taking in 26 cc (just 4 cc shy of an ounce) every three hours. She still needs the oxygen for now but it is set at such a low setting that coming off hopefully will not be a big deal. She now weighs 2.14 pounds. She has a couple of monitors on her chest, one on her foot, the feeding tube and oxygen - that's it!! She has to be off oxygen and up to 3.5 pounds to get moved to the PCN (Progressive Care Nursery). Hopefully, it will not be too long before that happens.

No comments: