Thursday, March 20, 2008

OB/GYN

This is totally random but I cannot stop thinking about it. I received a letter last week from my OB/GYN, Dr. M. Other than my very first OB/GYN in Dallas, Dr. M has been taking care of me for almost ten years now. Holly found her first and then I started seeing her. We both liked her instantly - she is calm, serious but can also relax and get to you on a personal level.

I think most women would agree that once you find a great GYN, it makes those yearly visits a little more tolerable. If this GYN also delivers one or all of your children, you feel especially bonded and eternally grateful to them for helping bring new life to your family. I remember loving my prenatal appointments, not only to hear my baby's heartbeat, but to see Dr. M and hear her tell me that everything was fine, I was doing great. I also remember missing going to see Dr. M after my babies were born. Sounds a little strange, but I know it happens to other women too - I have asked my friends. Dr. M delivered Evyn and Reed, so I spent a lot of time in her office during those two back-to-back pregnancies, plus she referred us to the RE who helped us get pregnant without acting awkward or strange about our two mom family.

Let's not forget the fact that Dr. M was on call the night that Skylar was born. This time I got to see Dr. M from a different perspective with a stressful set of circumstances. She rocked! Her being there eased my fears about the extremely premature baby girls she was about to deliver. Her presence made me calm, and I, in turn, was the one who made Ashley calm, or tried to, when things were rather tense.

Is it obvious that I love Dr. M?

Back to the letter.... Dr. M wrote to inform her patients that she is taking a teaching position at our local medical college and will now be in private practice and no longer associated with the large GYN practice she is now affiliated with. I can change practices, but should I? The only real reason I would want to stay with her (or stalk her) other than I am comfortable with her would be so she could deliver my next child, except there will not be a next child. We are both done making babies. Annual exams are no fun, so why not just stay where my records are, have a different, equally qualified doc do my annual exams? What would you do? Why can't I stop pondering these issues?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I would SO follow her and switch. Some just aren't as gentle as they should be with my girly parts and are NOT personable at all.
When Tylers Ped. told us he was switching practices (to one on the OTHER side of town) I never hesitated (ok, maybe I did just for a minute) but followed him without question. And as much as I loved the other practice he was with I equally love this practice as well. Glad I switched!

Anonymous said...

I would switch if she would still accept my insurance. having confidence and comfort with your gyn is extremely important and comforting.
mimi

Lipstick Jungle said...

I would switch too. I kept one of my docs from the cities (not my girlie parts doc, they are gone now!), because they were a part of my history. Its a 2 1/2 hour drive, but its only once a year, so I have no issue going that far.

I am sad I have to admit that you are making the "no more babies" statement though. :(