Monday, December 1, 2008

Holiday Hell-o!

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. This year stands out a little bit though. The kids are now old enough to really understand what Thanksgiving is all about. They have been putting a lot of thought into what they are thankful for and, of course, doing many, many Thanksgiving crafts at school (how many ways can you construct a turkey out of art supplies anyway? - I think I might know) and talking a lot about Indians, Indian symbols, etc.
The thing that Holly and I thought was so cool was they took it upon themselves (without one argument) to make their own cornucopia centerpiece out of an old basket we had around the house and several things from the refrigerator. They set and decorated the table, hung artwork around the dining room, and on Thanksgiving day, Evyn made almost everyone their very own feather hat (which I am sure has a more formal name). Troy really wanted to help out with the turkey and tried really, really hard to be helpful but never really got the chance.

Our prep work started Tuesday night right before their bedtime.



I was most thankful that we had a very small crowd for dinner. Still exhausting though. Here is Evyn making Ashley and Gary's feather hats. Reed refused to wear one, as expected. I wish I had taken more pictures of him semi dressed up.





See, Troy even had his own hat, thanks to Reed - the only one Reed had anything to do with he gave to the dog, who also seemed very thankful. It had to have been the whole stick of butter he stole from the table and the handful of turkey we shared with him.


The rest of the weekend was spent shopping, cleaning out the attic in an attempt to organize and easily locate our Christmas decorations and Holly hanging lights outside with Evyn cracking the whip. There was also some exciting news from Ashley and Gary ( I'm sure you can guess what that is all about) as well as some socializing and football watching. It was one of those holiday weekends you wish would never end but it did, darn it, and it is Monday once again.

3 comments:

Lipstick Jungle said...

I think I can guess and that is VERY exciting! I pray this time will be uneventful with a very happy outcome!!!

Michelle said...

Oh man Shannon! So happy for them and thats all I'm going to say. Love the pic of the 3 "kids" "helping" you all with the turkey. Priceless. :-)

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to all for the holiday season - I must say that Troy looks good in a hat, lol.

Kez