So, today is my 35th birthday and I am not really excited about it. In fact, I have not really been excited about having a birthday since I turned 21. When I think about the number 35 and how it relates to the number of years I have been alive, I really just cannot even believe it. How have I gotten to be this old?
I don't (always) feel old and I even think that my looks have not really changed too much since my 20s either, until I look at a picture from that time in my life and realize that, yes, I have aged and, yes, I do look middle aged, I do look like a suburban housewife (thank you very much, Elaine) and I would probably stand out in a club where the cool kids hang out.
Now that I have been up for a few hours (woke up grumpy, no less), have gotten my exercise, grumped around a bit, have been impatient with my kids and am now enjoying E and R's nap time, I have had time to think. I have been thinking about all of the people who have blown up my phone this morning and those who sent me text messages, wishing me a happy birthday, not to mention the cards from Holly and the kids this morning, a call from my high school friend in Dallas, an e-card from aunt Nita and a lunch invitation.
Because of this, I am, right this minute, making a conscious choice to be happy and thankful that I have friends and family who have thought about me today and thought enough to extend happy thoughts and birthday wishes my way. I really am a lucky OLD lady. :)