I keep missing my "Thankful Friday" opportunities. I have had so much to say these past few Fridays but the words never made it out of my brain. This was supposed to be the main thing that made the thankful list for this week, but I fell asleep before I could make it happen last night and before the end of Super Nanny. I hate it when I miss the end.
Anyway, Friday is show and tell day in Evyn's class. They are to bring something in that fits in their backpacks and also starts with the letter of the week. For some reason, I have a mental block when it comes to show and tell (probably because it is not written on my calendar). On a few of the Fridays she has taken something in, they have not had it for some reason and then I forget and then it is back on the next week and poor Evyn does not have anything to show. Luckily, she is not the only one showing up empty-handed, however, I'm too involved in her schooling to let this happen, or so I think. I'm writing "show and tell" on my calendar this weekend so she will never miss another one (this school year, at least).
So, yesterday was show and tell and, of course, I forgot. My excuse is that I was too busy wishing I was dead. I had the plague. Holly had to miss work because it is hard to parent when your head is getting ready to explode and you cannot get out of the bed or the bathroom. Pretty good excuse, I think.
On her way to school Evyn realized that she did not have anything for show and tell for the letter L. She and the bus driver, Mrs. R, started talking about possibilities, using anything that was in E's backpack. Mrs. R even looked through her own bag for something, but they came up empty-handed. Mrs. R then had a super idea. She suggested that Evyn sing a lullaby and then they went over the words to Rock A Bye Baby together so Evyn could practice. Once Evyn arrived at school, she immediately told her teacher that she did not bring an item to show but she had a lullaby to sing. Evyn told me that her teacher said that was "the greatest thing that anyone has ever bringed to show and tell." When it was Evyn's turn for show and tell later in the day, her teacher stood up in front of the class next to her and sang with her and then the whole class joined in. I really wish I could have seen that.
This story was not something she came home talking about. This is a story I might have never heard if I had not been in the right place at at the right time last night. I'm usually working at night and am so thankful that instead of listening to a doctor talk about a patient's musculoskeletal pain or the nasty phlegm they are coughing up, I was hanging out with Evyn, folding laundry and listening to her talk about kindergarten stuff. It made my week! We are so lucky to have such a sweet person driving our daughter to and from school each day.
1 comment:
What a great person Mrs.R is, I hope she continues to be E's bus driver all through her elementary days. I am sure you will be thanking her also for being such a great friend to our beautiful Evyn.
Post a Comment