Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dear Mother Nature:

After the string of cold and/or rainy weekends you have provided us recently here on the east coast, I feel like I owe you a large thank you for the sunny and warm-ish weekend that you blessed us with both Saturday and Sunday, the first full weekend of November. After spending more than a week dealing with the swine flu and finally seeing signs of recovery, it sure was nice of you to bless us with some sunshine and dry conditions. We finally got the pool closed down, all of the pool stuff stored in the shed, the gutters cleaned out and phase one of the leaves mulched up. We were also able to wash all of the dogs without having to blow each of them dry. You, with your warmth and sunshine, allowed all of these things to happen. Thank you, it is about time. Your fresh air helped heal the sick...what took you so long?

Almost every Saturday during the month of October was filled with rain. It might have been every Saturday, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt since I really cannot remember. Frankly, we are over it. When I really think about it, I think you actually owe us some money. Your crappy weather caused us to have to postpone our trip to the apple orchard for several weeks which led to us having only two varieties of apples left to choose from, the most expensive varieties. We got fewer apples for more money this year. I could have just gone to WalMart for less money and more variety, but I was waiting for you to cooperate and provide a little reprieve from the weekend rains...you know how Reed hates to get even the tiniest little spot of dampness on his clothing. We just did not want to have to drive all that way to hear him gripe about having to wear a rain coat and hear about how wet his shoes were. I do not regret having to wait until most of the apples were gone to get to the orchard, we still enjoyed our little trip to the mountains while the leaves were peaking and spending time with the O family during their first apple picking experience, but you did cheat us out of the experience with Ashley and Gary and the newest member of our family. No worries though, I've almost forgotten about that due to the beautiful weekend we just experienced.
You also offered up a random beautiful , sunny Thursday in October so the kindergarten classes from Reed's school could go to Ashland Berry Farm.....jacket free. Picking pumpkins was so nice in the sun on a day that could easily be classified as a perfect fall day. On the flip side, there were a whole lot of bees buzzing around. With my yellow jacket attack still fresh on my mind, the bees loving the fresh, warm air and swarming around the kids' lunches was a bit much for me, but that is not really something I can blame you for. The warm air was worth the little bit of panic I experienced during lunch time. Thank you.
Lastly, the consistent rain/drizzle that came down all day long on Halloween day was not so funny. We had plans, plans to dress up and roam the neighborhood with eager, excited children and spent most of the day wondering if that would actually happen. Dealing with the swine flu was not part of the plan. Not knowing what we were dealing with though, we sucked it up and stayed focused on dinner and festive drinks to go with our friends. Thankfully, you decided the day had been dreary enough and stopped the rain and kept the temps warm. A Halloween day in the 80s is almost unheard of in VA. Again, you deserve some recognition here even if you did keep the rain falling for most of the day.

Oh, and thank you in advance for the upcoming weekend which looks as if it too could be dry and sunny. If you decide that you would like to skip winter here in the east altogether, my feelings would not be hurt one bit.

Yours Truly.

No comments: