Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Nature's inoculation

Halloween came and went, I have been on a class field trip with Reed's class, a family trip to an apple orchard and a kindergarten costume parade but no pictures and no stories. I did post a few on Facebook. It's so easy over there, takes no time at all. I slacked. I had to. I've been busy feeling dead and not so witty.

Thanks to an outbreak of so-called H1N1 in our community, Evyn and I have been flat out. She has definitely had it much worse than I have and was given the unofficial diagnosis of swine flu based on an assumption and not serology. I could go off on a tangent about that, but the bottom line is that it really does not matter, sick is sick. In fact, I hope we both HAVE been suffering from this particular flu. The one that the government is creating public hysteria over. The flu that the government is stating everyone should be inoculated against using a vaccine that has not had time to be properly tested, probably is safe and may or may not be effective. The same vaccine that not all that many people who have wanted it have been able to receive. None of that really matters to me either. I does annoy me a little since I do believe false statements are being made and freaking people out, but I did not want the vaccine for myself or my family anyway.

Now that two of the four of us have been inoculated by some germ-infested kid, or like I like to think about it, inoculated by nature, we are forming antibodies to this strain of flu, naturally. It did not come without pain and suffering, but I think it is safe to say, one co-pay later, at this point that the worst is behind us. I'm almost glad we have had it and hope that if we are exposed again, it will not have the same effect, if any. That remains to be seen.

Hopefully once my head clears and I'm not so grumpy and detached from my life, needing Holly to stay home and take care of me/us, I will be back with cute pictures and stories of our fall adventures. Until then, go lick a grocery store cart handle or a door knob and let nature takes its course - just get it over with before the holidays. Once you spend several days sweating and then freezing, losing count of how many times you have put on and taken off your sweatshirt, you will be so glad you did. OINK! ;)

No comments: