Monday, May 12, 2008

Memorable Mother's Day

Mother's Day this year is by far the most memorable, and not just because it was only yesterday. Our fun started Saturday evening when Gary and Ashley took the kids for an overnighter. They also planned to cook dinner for us on Sunday and offered to keep the kids until then, which was fabulous.


Saturday evening, we dined on a patio in an interesting, colorful part of town. We got an eye full, whether it was a possible drug deal going down across the street, feuding lovers taking a stroll to air out their dirty laundry, crazy man on a bicycle, an extremely drunk chick stumbling out of a bar - these are just a few of the things we witnessed, and I must admit we thoroughly enjoyed all of it.


Fast forward to Sunday morning, Mother's Day. We woke up to a wonderfully quiet house, drank coffee and went for a run shortly after Holly discovered a big problem at work. She had to take her cell with her on the run but was determined to multitask versus missing her exercise opportunity. So we get back and she has to rush to work. In the meantime, Grandpa and Holly's brother, John, head out to breakfast.


I was all alone, or as alone as one can be in a house full of animals. It was great....until the doorbell rang. It was the police. I was immediately worried, being alone and all. I assumed something horrible had happened and the cop was coming to break the news. Not the case. He was looking for Grandpa, of all people. Turns out that Gramps hit a parked car in a parking lot and did not bother to get out, leave a note or at least check for damage. He told John to shut up when John suggested he stop, and he drove away but not until someone got his license plate number. Yep, the cops were looking for our 72 year old Crash Test Grandpa, as we so fondly call him. At the officer's request, he returned to the scene of the accident and exchanged his information (after having to call me to go search his apartment for his insurance information). Gramps has heard it from all of us and was quite humbled by the experience. According to the officer, old folks do this quite often. Before the officer left, I did ask if he was going to put Grandpa in jail. As it turns out, he did not even get a ticket.

Later on, Holly and I headed to Ashley and Gary's house for some dinner and to gather up Evyn and Reed who were completely wiped out but still loving every second of being at "Sissy's new house." After a wonderful dinner, the torrential rain started. We tried to wait it out but then decided to just run for it since Troy and a couple of the old ladies are scared of thunder. Once we all got into the car, completely soaked, we realized that the kids' seats were still in Gary's car. I proceeded to get them and as I was running back to my car, seats in hand, I did a mud slide down the edge of the driveway. Maybe that is how my thumb got all banged up. Anyway, we finally got home, drenched, full and happy.

1 comment:

Lipstick Jungle said...

Sounds like a well rounded holiday!! Gramps is a sneaky old coot! He reminds me of some movie character probably played by Walter Mathau!