Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Man

The little man of our house is around four feet tall, approximately 50 pounds. Having only lived four, almost five, years, he has managed to test every boundary and beyond during the last two years of his short life (terrible two's, my ass). We are used to raising girls - this little man came along and caused us to re-educate ourselves when it comes to discipline. He is not sensitive like his sisters, so a stern look his direction only makes him laugh. He is loud. He is physical. He gets mad and makes it well-known to those around him. He has given his teachers headaches. He has given us headaches. I've asked my friends what to do. Now, here it is 2009, he is almost five and he is finally coming into his own. I can hardly believe we have gotten to this point with him, and I feel like gushing over him for a moment.

He is becoming quite an amazing kid. He is coming out of his shell and speaking to people he previously took a hour to warm up to. He dresses himself without being asked (and does a great job matching). He cleans up after himself much of the time, again, without being asked. He takes initiative, which we are embracing. In fact, it is shocking and awe-inspiring - he is our first child to take pride in doing for himself. He demands independence. I love it! He takes his responsibilities seriously, and I love that too.

There have been many, many, many times in the recent past that I have been totally perplexed with his behavior, annoyed that he does not respond properly, embarrassed because his teachers did not know how to handle him and irritated because it is illegal to put your child up for sale. That's not so much the case anymore. We have all learned a lot over the past couple of years. We have learned the secret to controlling his behavior, the art of patience and the value of exercise as an outlet for stress. He is maturing, still testing his limits and reacting in perplexing ways, but he is in such a better place these days and as a result, so are we. His teacher this year has been wonderful, listened to our thoughts on his personality and took our suggestions. She has seen the transformation too. I guess all I'm saying is that Reed has amazed and surprised us with his emotional growth and I'm thrilled. The End :)

No comments: