The good news is that Evyn is digging kindergarten, although she has taken a sudden liking to sleeping late and is counting the "dark sleeps" until she gets to sleep in. This child has rarely ever slept in, ever. Nothing like a required wake up time to show you just how good you had it.
She has informed me that kindergartners do not cry. She also got a little panicky this morning when she overheard Holly and I talking about me taking Reed to the bus stop in the jogging stroller and then for a spin around the neighborhood. Apparently, kindergartners do not ride in strollers either. That message was very clear.
She apparently has my lack of ability to remember names easily. She proudly remembered two boys' names this afternoon. Jack - both of them. She can't tell me her teacher's name either, but at her defense, she has entered a whole new world this week and has a lot of stuff to remember.
I'm super proud of her and how well she seems to be adapting to kindergarten, and I cannot wait to see if she really truly will sleep in this weekend. I know I would love to but Reed still needs some convincing that the 5 o'clock hour is not a good wake up time for a 4 year old.
*******************************
Reed met his teacher today, Mrs. H. He is attending the same pre-school from last year and has the same great teacher that Evyn had when she was four. So, actually, he already knows his teacher, or at least knew of her just from being a student last year. I have seen him hug Mrs. H before today, and I have had to talk with her about how Reed was behaving in the carpool room after school last year. She knows both sides of Reed already, and I bet she is scared.
He stuck his tongue out at her and almost spit at her today (until he got the stink eye and then the "you will go straight to your room as soon as you get home" look) just because she was asking him if he would do her a favor and tell Evyn hello for her. How is that for charming the pants off of the teacher on the first day?
Really, I know he will be fine after the first few school days with the drop off part of it. It is just the behavior part that has me concerned. Hopefully Mrs. H will channel the inner nice, behaving Reed this year. He is really not a crazy monster of a child. He is a reserved guy who does not like new things and acts out when he feels like he is being put on the spot and then gets upset that he is being looked at. This still baffles me at times. I just hope Ms. H gets him figured out pretty quickly.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment