Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Times have changed

Tonight is back to school night at Evyn's elementary school. It has been on my calendar for weeks, but I did not know what it would be like, bring kids or not, where exactly do I go, should Holly and I both go.... About 7 o'clock last night the phone range and the caller ID said the name of Evyn's school. When I answered, a voice says "Hello, please hold for a message from your child's school principal." Then here comes Mr. A's voice welcoming everyone to the school and reminding everyone about back to school night, where to meet, that it would start with a short PTA meeting, etc. Not only was I amazed that I had received a random phone call answering almost all of my questions about back to school night, I was also a little surprised that the school has this capability. I am sure its main purpose has to do with safety alerts in case something terrible happens during school hours (which is disturbing all on its own), but it is a nifty way to efficiently spread information. Things have surely changed since I was in school, or even since Ashley was in school.

3 comments:

Lipstick Jungle said...

And I thought having email capability with teachers was cool! This rocks!

Anonymous said...

Both of my kids' schools do this too. It was really disconcerting the first time I picked up the phone and heard, "This is Mr. Gaurlioff, the principal at Mercer Middle". I thought for sure Susannah had been hurt or was in detention! It took me awhile to catch on that it was a recording. I'm slow like that.
~Tammy

Anonymous said...

Boy that usre is neat. Just think this is a good way to be notified if school in canceled due to bad weather also.(I guess it will be used for that purpose also) Tumes have really changed since you were in school.