Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Final Day of Summer 2010

Although it still feels a little bit like summer, the harsh reality is that the days are already shorter and the sun is shifting and no longer blinding me in the late afternoon as I sit at my desk, not that I really miss that. After today, it will officially be fall. Winter comes next. Rather than sit here and complain about how much I don't want winter to arrive, I decided that a top five funniest moments of summer would be a better way to use my time. So, here we go.


#5 funniest moment of summer: Nothing says it is summertime to me more than hearing the locusts making their music. I have always called them locusts, but they are actually commonly known as cicadas. It takes me back to summer time growing up in Texas where the locusts were everywhere. You could walk up to a tree, shake it (everything is bigger in TX except the trees) and watch several locusts fly away. I always just thought that locusts were part of the landscape, but after I moved to VA I heard that they migrate which explains why I do not hear their beautiful summer music until later in the season.

Anyway, I saw a locust on the ground and assumed it was dead. I thought Evyn might like to see it. I brought her outside to show her the "dead" locust. We bent over and looked at it and then I grabbed its wings to pick it up and it started flying around, stunned. All I heard after that was the door slam - Evyn made like the littlest piggy and ran screaming all the way home, or all of the way back inside, anyway.
#4 funniest moment of summer: The Horseshoe Crabs! We visited Norfolk last month, a little weekend getaway with friends and our kids. We went to the Nauticus Museum and had a blast. One of the exhibits was about horseshoe crabs. It was interactive and the kids were allowed to touch them and watch the museum folks pick them up. Fast forward to the next day when we went to the beach. We have a spot we love to visit on the Chesapeake Bay where the water is calm and the kids can swim without us having to worry about rip currents and rough water. For some reason, horseshoe crabs were washing up onto the beach. Kids were squealing and watching and staring, most of them scared of the ugly creatures. Not Evyn. Evyn took this as her opportunity to save the crabs. As they would wash up, Evyn would grab them like the museum folks did and toss them back into deeper water. She did this as all of the (mostly) boys stood around her and screamed at the top of their lungs. She might be scared of a wildly flying locust, but she is not at all bothered by a horseshoe crab.


#3 funniest moment of summer: The Creeper! When we took our family/friend beach trip to Cape Hatteras in July, the stars must have been aligned so that the inner comedian in many of us could be realized. I know I mentioned before how much I laughed during that week. Well, my cousin Matt's inner comedian was fully realized. He was on - everyday, making us laugh hysterically - and I even have photographic proof that several of us would just sit up at the kitchen counter and laugh until we could not hold our heads up any longer. Matt started talking to the two teenage girls that were with us, A and E. He started asking them if they were on Facebook, pretending like he had been looking at their pictures on Facebook and basically acting like a "creeper," so that is what A and E started calling him. The creeper conversations continued, the facial expressions were priceless and Matt had the whole creeper act down so well that it is almost scary. Here is the proof:




#2 funny moment of summer: Water Balloon fights! We love having water balloon fights in and around our pool. We had some really great blow outs toward the end of the season this year. One was when my mom was visiting. Ashley and Gary were here, and we were all filling up balloons and prepping for our big war. Holly warned everyone not to hit Mimi (my mom), or at least to be gentle if they did. Once the war had begun, Mimi started hurling balloons and whacking everyone pretty good. Just about the time that Holly was about to tell us to forget what she had said about going easy on Mimi, I bent over to pick up a balloon that was outside of the pool and was shocked when Mimi threw a balloon at me and hit me square in the forehead. Wasn't expecting that one! Go easy on Mimi, my butt. Here she is in action:


And the #1 funny moment of summer: The Confederate Fag! (that is not a typo)
This hilarious event also happened in NC at the beach. Holly went shopping without her glasses on. She was on the hunt for a cool "beach" necklace and she found one. It was not until that night or the next day that she pulled it out and wanted to show it to me. I immediately noticed the familiar design that occupied every fifth bead and was sandwiched between silver beads and curled up hemp....it was the confederate flag, the southern cross. She said that she liked it because it had a pink design on it. Once I caught my breath from laughing, I told her that not only was the design red and not pink, but that design was the confederate flag. So, Holly not only wasted a few bucks on a necklace that she would never wear and realized that she should never go shopping without her glasses on, but she also earned the title The Confederate Fag.

Summer 2010, I hate to see you go, but thanks for the memories.

No comments: