Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm moody.

Winter is not my favorite season. I think that is a well-known fact by now. I've often thought that I would benefit from some light therapy to help me make it through the winters without stuffing myself with comfort food and just generally feeling funky, but I never have pursued it. I just fantasize being somewhere sunny or living farther south or southwest while I pig out on cookies and candy. It gets me though.

This year we have gotten, so far, about 30 inches of snow, which is a whole lot more than we usually see, and, as the weather forecasters keep saying, "it ain't over yet people." I vacillate between excitement, admiring the beauty of the falling snow and watching my kids enjoy it to just being pissed. Pissed that Holly has to work more when the weather is bad, pissed because I feel trapped and pissed because I still have to work and have two and usually three children needing my care and it just seems endless. There is a definite limit to my patience, and I don't like pushing that limit on a regular basis like I have been lately.

The kids have been in and out of school for the last few weeks due to weather. I've been noticing a trend in my moods that directly correlates with them being in or out of school. We awoke yesterday to yet more snow. This fell on top of ice from the night before. They did not cancel school due to the timing of the snow and the fact that not much was supposed to fall. We got the kids ready, put them on the bus in what seemed like a blizzard, heavy-ish snow and serious wind gusts. Then, we get a call from the school stating that school is cancelled. They decided this after my babies were already on the bus. I took these pictures right after the bus pulled away and right before I got the call and anxiously tried to figure out how to get my kids back home safely:

I was a little grumpy yesterday, as you might imagine. I was also very thankful that the bus driver brought my kids back safely just a few minutes after the school announced they were closing.

Today, I am happy. The kids had a two hour delay which means no alarms, no rushing. Now, I am all alone and I am just tickled pink. Tomorrow I will be happy too. Next week, after our next snow on Monday, I will be grumpy again. I am moody but also fairly predictable, just so you know.

No comments: