The kids got their second nine weeks reports cards. Evyn's was exactly what I expected it to be. Her teacher knows her well, can identify her strengths and weaknesses. In the comment section, she complemented Evy and thanked us for all of the work we do at home. She is demanding and there are a lot of things to sign off on, log down and study each night. The simple fact that Mrs. S took the time to thank us means a lot and will fuel me for about eight more weeks until I start getting the homework burnout blues. Evyn is about as self-sufficient as I can expect her service-oriented, easily-sidetracked little self to be at this point, so her homework (on a much smaller scale) is my homework too. I mean, it is so much more fun to study math facts when I am holding the flash cards. In Evyn's world, holding up the flash cards takes a lot of effort.
Reed's report card was not exactly what I expected, but close. The first nine weeks, Mrs. W put an "x" in the box next to "expresses thoughts in complete sentences." This child has been expressing himself in complete sentences for y.e.a.r.s. I let it go, knowing that she did not yet have the pleasure of really knowing Reed. He is a quiet guy who just had not let her "in" yet....the first nine weeks were all about transitioning into kindergarten with 17 other students. It was not until this last grading period - the second nine - that he let her see how silly he is and how loud he can talk when he is trying to be annoying or funny. That earned him an "x" on the line next to "practices self-control." Mrs. W now knows very well that Reed can speak in complete sentences. She also knows that he can read...who'd a thought the boy who "hates to read" and whose mommy had to quit taking him to the library as a toddler because he was such a nuisance would actually be reading halfway through his kindergarten year. Not I!
Other than needing to keep practicing with his writing, it seems as though Reed needs help graphing and using tally charts, identifying historic people and events of the past (this IS kindergarten, right?), investigating human senses and organs and classifying objects by size and color. I have some workbooks from Evyn's kindergarten year and have been giving Reed graphing worksheets, tally mark practice and he totally nails it with minimal instruction. I know he knows his colors, shapes and the difference between big and small. I'm not sure what she bases her criticisms on, but I think that he is holding back which leads her to believe he is not capable. I think he is doing great and will continue to work with him on the things Mrs. W says he needs help with just to be sure he is getting it. He actually likes doing homework and will pack it up in his folder and clean up his supplies without having to be asked more than once. Evyn, she is doing good if she even brings her folder home. She needs a personal assistant to keep herself together, roll out the red carpet and lay her homework out on a silk pillow...don't forget the snack. I think she was royalty in a past life.
Anyway, the 100th day of school is Wednesday. This is always a fun day, especially for the kindergartners. I will be helping out in Reed's class. I'm looking forward to seeing his teacher. I cannot wait to confirm the story he told me about her buying him an ice cream at school the other day (after receiving his report card and having some serious talks at home about appropriate school behavior) because he was the only one in his group not talking and misbehaving. I have seen the teachers reward certain kids in this way, but I'd really like to hear that story from the teacher, if you know what I mean.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment