Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Family Left me Behind

My family went to the beach and left me at home for a whole week, and all they brought me back was this previously owned orange bandana.

Actually, there is a funny story behind this bandana. One day while I was looking for shells in Cape Hatteras with a beer in one hand and my net in the other, a huge wave came up behind me. Instead of calling my name to warn me, Holly alerted those sitting in the sand next to her to watch what was about to happen. A wave came up behind me, sucked me up into it, slurped my glasses off my face, yanked my hat off of my head and tried to pull my bathing suit top off and then slammed me down into the sea floor, leaving my lower body completely exfoliated. I wish I could have seen it from a spectator's point of view because I KNOW how funny it must have been. After all, they were all still laughing once I finally got myself straight enough to stand up and get out of the water. Thankyouverymuch...there will be no charge for the show.

Anyway, I continued my shell hunt (this time, carefully watching the waves as they approached the shoreline) and a short time after my encounter with Mother Nature, I found a large half of a sand dollar. I felt like that was a consolation prize for being such a good sport. I kept looking, hoping for a whole sand dollar, and what did I find next? yep, the orange bandana, probably from some other unsuspecting soul who got tossed around like a rag doll in the surf. Mother Nature traded me my cool sunglasses for an orange bandana. Not exactly a fair trade but seeing Troy wear the bandana still makes me chuckle.

No comments: