We have been talking about adding a puppy to the family for several months. We decided that after vacation we would take the plunge into puppyville. It has been 14 years since Holly and I have had a puppy. It was back when Ashley was just a puppy herself. We knew we were in for it and planned for the worst.
We wanted a Lab or Lab mix so we started looking around at the local humane organizations and immediately found a few candidates. When our first choice did not work out, we decided to check the SPCA. The kids and I went for a visit, and after I had to choke back tears as I walked past the row of canine senior citizens (one of them a beautiful 6 year old black Lab), we came across "Lulu", a three month old black Lab mix with no tail. We got to hang out with Lulu in a room and watch her chew the arms of the SPCA guy, try to eat her info folder and run and jump around like a mad woman - no manners at all. Honestly, I was a little scared. We found out that someone had wrapped a rubber band tightly around her tail in order to dock it themselves. The tail got infected and she somehow ended up with our local animal shelter who turned her over to the SPCA where they repaired her tail (it actually fell off when they took off the bandage to examine it, leaving about 3 inches of very infected stump). They spayed her, microchipped her and gave her most of her vaccines as well as some time to heal. She had just been released for adoption when we went to visit. I know I don't have to tell you how the story ended. Lulu is now known as Ramona, sometimes she is known as Ramona the pest. Each day brings a new alias.
Lets just say that the last two weeks have involved potty training, and watching as doggie style WWF takes the stage every day, several times a day. It is big, spotted dog on small, no tail dog. Let me just tell you how spunky and tough she is for a, now, 4 month old pup. She has had a few puppy play dates with her cousin Alvin the cockapoo puppy and then Toby and Duke have come over for a good old fashioned romp through the yard. When Ramona plays, she plays hard. So hard and so tough that we have been calling her ghetto girl since she often plays like she is in a street fight. Good thing she is not packing heat. She is the type of girl who easily get carried away - who knows what she would do. It is hard to tell if she's just a tough girl from the projects or a puppy responding to the rough play of a 140 pound Great Dane who likes to rough her up.
Not only is she tough and spunky but she is super smart, incredibly sweet and has found herself a perfect home. It is just a matter of time before I work her into being my new running partner. Troy and I have been taking her out on walks, and since Troy is so great on a leash, I'm hoping he can show her how it's done because at this point if I took her out running, one of us would return home injured and it would probably be me.
No comments:
Post a Comment