Yesterday we had a play date with a brother sister duo close in age to Evy and Reed. The little girl is in Evyn's scout troop. We do not know them really well but have met for two play dates and the kids really do play well together. The mother of these children is pretty quiet. I really do not know much about her, and since my gut was telling me that she is ultra conservative, I opted not to correct her when she would ask me questions about my "husband." Our non-traditional family is not something we like to make a big deal out of. When it has come up before with playmates and their parents, it has not been a big ordeal, thankfully. I just felt like I did not know this woman well enough to share our family's dynamics with her just yet.
So, here we are at the park, walking through the woods. The kids were playing in and near a creek, and the other mom and I were standing there chatting when Reed says, "Mommy! M won't believe that me and Evyn don't have a dad." I stood there thinking well, being outed in the woods was not really what I had in mind....what the heck should I say???? I just turned to the woman who had just told me about just how conservative she really is and told her that, indeed, there is no father in our family, just two moms. She was a little confused for a minute but did not seem terribly bothered by the news. At least she did not take her children and run out of the woods to her minivan. I am still wondering if we will see them for another play date anytime soon. Alternative families living in conservative cities can be a challenge sometimes, and being outed by a 6 year old in the woods is not that fun.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment