Thursday, April 1, 2010

Last call for kindergarten centers

Today was the last time that I will be volunteering regularly in Reed's class for centers, although there will be other random opportunities to help out. This is the time of year when Reed's teacher stops doing centers so that she can spend center time reviewing for the standardized tests that the kindergartners are given toward the end of the last nine weeks of school (which I might rant about some other time). I just realized it this week - the end of the school year is right around the corner. Part of me is sad. We no longer have any future kindergartners at home, which means that I will not be volunteering nearly as much as I have been over the past two years. The sad part of me is the part of me who thinks that kindergartners are some of the sweetest, cutest, funniest people on the planet. Maybe I should become a kindergarten teacher when I grow up.

When I arrived at school today, I went to the office to sign in and get my "visitor" sticker. As I walked to Reed's classroom, I met up with his class on their return from lunch. The first child to notice me was the last child in line, a cute, tiny girl who immediately wanted to hold my hand and give me a big hug. She walked me up to where Reed was in the line and handed my hand over to Reed who was so happy to see me. The little dude in front of Reed then handed me a yellow flower. He told me he picked it and was waiting for me to get there (future Casanova). When we arrived in the classroom, Reed introduced me to their new student who promptly asked me what my name was. When I told her that she could just call me "Reed's mom" she asked for my name again and then pointed to my visitor sticker and asked me what my name tag said. These are the things about kindergartners that I find refreshing and entertaining.

No comments: