Saturday, May 1, 2010

Good Bye April 2010

Spring is the season that I long for all winter long, as you probably gathered. Once it gets here and the days grow longer and the temperatures increase, I find myself scrambling. April seems exceptionally hectic. That is the month when sports start x2, field trips kick in x2, the grass grows so fast we can barely keep up. I think it takes a good month to adapt from the winter nothings to the fast pace of spring.

This week started out nice and slow in the work department. It was so slow that I volunteered to provide a cake for Evyn's student teacher's going away party. Me and my non-baking self decided to make a kite-shaped cake with help from Ms. Crocker's website. I baked and prepped the cake one day and put a layer of frosting on it the next. Time was on my side and it was working out perfectly until Evyn, while preparing to decorate the cake, spilled a drink on it. Everything started to deteriorate after that. I should have known that extra spare time meant trouble was coming.

The state surveyors that pay an annual visit to Holly's place of employment stormed the facility, and while State is in the building, no directors are allowed to leave. This kinda made getting two kids to two different locations to play baseball at the same time a little difficult. This made driving grandpa to and from his physical therapy a challenge and automatically nominated me to accompany grandpa to his Thursday morning doctor appointment. Great.

How did the rest of the week go down? Reed's magical light saber split me in half. The artsy, laid back half of me saved the cake from the soggy depths of orange soda hell with no obvious issues while not flipping out. A friend offered (and of course I accepted) to take Troy to his vet appointment and deliver him back home after he was thoroughly tortured, all 140.7 pounds of him. I also took the kids to the school's book fair early Wednesday morning, washed two dogs and dosed out flea prevention to five of six cats. The remaining cat is more like a mountain lion in a little cat body, so timing and patience is everything - since I had neither, she will have to wait for now.

The other half of me, the one that is more uptight and not so laid back became the taxi driver to grandpa, scrambled to get Evyn signed up for a Daisy scout field trip to the SPCA at the last minute - the very day of the field trip, babysat Reagan Tuesday, delivered the cake Thursday after grandpa's appointment and somehow managed to get my ball playing kids in the right place at almost the right time so they could play ball until 9 pm which just happens to be 1.5 hours AFTER they should have been in bed. Somehow, Reed's first research project did get done on time and they both managed to get their homework done each night.

State surveyors are done until next year and Holly and I both survived yet another crazy week. As we like to say to each other during these super crazy, hectic times, "I have an idea, let's have another baby." I'd much rather fly a kite or bake a cake shaped like one.

1 comment:

mimi said...

What a neat looking cake, you did good. Glad you held up under all the rest of the pressure for the month of April. Hope May is easier and you deserve your trip in June.