Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A funny from Evy

This morning as we were running late for school due to my selfishness and trying to squeeze a workout AND a shower into our already full morning routine, I remembered we needed gas, really bad. Since E and R would have been extremely late if I had run out of gas trying to take them to school, I stopped to fill up. The gas staion was flying the American flag with a smaller red, white and blue flag flying underneath it.

Evyn asked me what the smaller flag was, and I could not give her an answer. I even came home and Googled it and still do not know what it is, however, I am pretty sure that the flag is a "local thing" designed to symbolize the tragedy that occurred on 9/11. It has a single star with, I think, five short bars circling the star and to the right of the star and bars is a few red and white stripes, thicker, wider and fewer than the American flag. (can anyone help me out here??)

While I was trying to explain to Evyn that I was not sure what the flag was, she interrupted me and said she knew what it was, "It is a Dallas Cowboy American Flag." I love how she came to this conclusion - she knows Texas is the Lone Star State, can identify the flag and she has seen many Dallas Cowboy themed items, so she concluded that the one star surely meant Texas and the Dallas Cowboys. There was a time when the Cowboys were known as "America's Team" but to fly a flag in Virginia (Redskin country) symbolizing that would surely freak the general population out.

Now that I think about it, I truly wonder if Evyn would recognize the Virginia flag, you know, the state we actually live in. I have my doubts. I can just hear Evyn in school talking all about a flag of a state that her mommy is from, knowing some Texas-themed songs and knowing nothing about Virginia flags and the like. I guess it is time for me to do some research and teach her about the state she was born in and is being raised in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to visualize the short bars circling the star and then the stripes to the right. What type of gas station was it maybe it has something to do with their logo. Just a thoughtvcgcvqx