Friday, April 25, 2008

Dog training

I recently was asked to read a set of E-books about dog training. I was to read them and work the proposed training program with Troy. The trainer who wrote them is a local guy who gives speeches/lessons to people who have newly adopted dogs, he does over the phone consultations and will even come to your house to troubleshoot problems. Apparently this guy is good.

I have read the three E-books and have been applying what I read to how I treat Troy and it is amazing. The information includes facts about dog/wolf social behavior - Some things I knew and some things that made me realize that we have been bossed around and treated like dogs by our old dogs for years. Troy is not going to act that way if I have anything to say about it. He is actually responding very well. He is a great dog overall, but like most two year olds, he still tests and tries to control certain situations, and, if anything, the E-books have offered me a new perspective on reinforcing desired behaviors and how not to reinforce the unwanted.

I was asked to read Doug's E-books so I could then do a videotaped testimonial for his website, stating how great the program is and how well it worked for me. Should not be hard, however, Doug is coming to our house to tape my testimonial, meaning he is going to be here with Troy. I have told him how well Troy has responded, how the kids are involved and how he responds even to them. He said "then Troy will be nice and calm for the taping." I said that I sure hoped so. His response: "If you have worked the program properly, he will." He was not snooty, rude, sarcastic when he said it but I immediately felt pressure. So now I am worried that Troy is gonna act up, I am going to do something wrong in response and basically look like a loser.

I do not think I have ever felt this way about my kids' behavior but now I find myself thinking I should take Troy for an extra long run before Doug gets here so he will be somewhat tired. I am certainly not going to lose sleep over this but the big doofus better not make me look bad.

No comments: